Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Road Tour 2009 - Part 3, Doi Pha Tang & Phu Lan Ka

Leaving Chiang Khong, I chose a route close to the Laotian border towards Phu Chi Fa. A nice place to visit again I thought. However, sign post along the way led me up another peak - Doi Pha Tang. At a height of 1635M, it offers breath taking views too!
















Cherry blossoms were here, what a refreshing feeling!
















Road snakes up to the car park at the far end where we camped for the night. A Bht50 donkey ride took me up the peak. I must be overweight, it stopped several times to catch its breath. But it was the steepness that encouraged to take a soft option. At one point, a jerk during a turn thrown me off balance and found myself landed on the slope. Lucky me, the landing was on a grass patch without stones!
















Skipping Phu Chi Fa to Ban Huak, a border town along the Thai-Laos border, met the same craftsman making coconut string instrument. I decide to patronize him this time.
















Journey further south was Phu Lan Ka National Park. Why not check it out? At the park entrance, the ranger cautioned the last 4km could only be reached by 4 wheel drive. We were advised to horn at each bend as it is a single lane for 2-way traffic.

Well, sounds like an adventure awaiting. It was really a steep drive & there were moments the engine was strained even on lowest gear. The gear box oil warning light indicated overheating half way & I had to pull over to let it cool down. Fortunately no other vehicle coming down other way.

Allowing the engine to take some fresh air too!
















Cool mountain air and great views around.
















It's all pine trees up here at this elevation.
































A group of men were resting here, park keepers I presumed. It turned out they were hired porters waiting for a group of para-gliders to arrive. The peak is another 1km walk from here. Hmm.. I was not game enough to go any further.
















They were kind enough to phone the other parties to allow us out before driving in. It was a drive I didn't asked for!

2 comments:

Tweeter said...

Wow, you 've been to more places in Chiengrai and Thailand than me. Although I have a vacation home in Chiengrai, I still haven't visit Phu Chee Fah or Doi Pah Tung.

Walet.twins said...

Well.. I am a happy wanderer!